Engage Rotary. Change Lives.

What is a Paul Harris Fellow?

When $US1000 is contributed to The Rotary Foundation, a request can be made for an individual to be recognised as a Paul Harris Fellow; that person can be a Rotarian or a member of the community who is not a Rotarian.

When a person is recognised as a Paul Harris Fellow, they are presented with a Certificate signed by the Rotary International President and the Chairman of the Trustees of The Rotary Foundation, and a lapel pin and medallion. The contribution to The Rotary Foundation can be made in one sum or by cumulative giving over a number of years. Individuals can make a personal contribution or the contribution can be from a club, a company or business.

Some of the misconceptions or misunderstanding surrounding a Paul Harris Fellow are:

Every Rotarian should strive to be a Paul Harris Fellow because for each PHF named, we know that US$1000 has been given to The Rotary Foundation. Similarly, for each sapphire or ruby added to a Rotarian’s PHF pin, an additional US$1000 has been given to The Rotary Foundation. We should celebrate each of these milestones (and gem stones) for what they represent. That is, a gift to The Rotary Foundation and an opportunity to do even more good in the world through the Foundation.

What about when my Club names me a Paul Harris Fellow? Or, adds a sapphire or ruby to my PHF pin?

Be very proud and honoured. In your name the Club has donated the sum of US$1000 (or more) to The Rotary Foundation.

The Club is honouring you in a very special way and you should be proud of that, however you are still encouraged to personally make contributions to the Foundation and it should not discourage others to make further contributions on your behalf to continue to support the programs of the Rotary Foundation.

Remember, a Paul Harris Fellow recognises an individual who contributes US$1000 to The Rotary Foundation or has that amount contributed in his or her name.

Error Report

If you have noticed something incorrect with this page, please let us know by filing an error report form.

Click here to complete the form.