- Students eligible will be those who attend a High School or College in District 9710 at the time of the District Conference at which the Speaking Competition Final is held.
- Each Rotary Club in District 9710 may nominate one student each year to compete. (Not all Clubs will nominate students. In the event that a Club wishes to nominate more than one student, such extra students may be considered for nomination by Clubs in the same Assistant Governor (AG) cluster who are not themselves nominating a student.)
- The time for each speech is not to be less than 5 minutes and not longer than 7 minutes. Any speech shorter than 4 minutes 30 seconds or longer than7 minutes 30 seconds will be disqualified. A warning alert will be sounded at 5 minutes, 6 minutes and at 7 minutes after which time no further alerts will be given.
- Each speech must explicitly mention the Four Way Test. The Four Way Test can be included either as a whole or with each Test point interspersed through the speech. Each Test point must be referred to at least once during the speech.
The test of the things we think, say or do:
- Is it the TRUTH?
- Is it FAIR to all concerned?
- Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
- Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?
Process for Progression to Grand Final
- Following the initial Club nominations, each AG cluster should select one student to attend a Semi-Final Competition. If possible, this selection should be the result of a speaking competition within the AG cluster.
- Nominations from each AG cluster must be in the hands of the District Governor Nominee on or before August 31st each year.
- The Semi Finals will produce three Finalists to compete at the District Conference in October/November.
- Semi Finals will be concluded by September 30th each year.
- The Final will be held at the District Conference.
- Finalists will be required to present in their official school uniform.
- The Four Way Test Speaking Competition winning Finalist will be announced at the District Conference.
- Co-ordination of the Four Way Test Speaking Competition will be the responsibility of the District Governor Nominee Designate once nominated and then as District Governor Nominee until the next District Governor Nominee Designate is nominated, or a delegate as nominated by them.
- Adjudicators for the Semi Finals will be appointed by the District Governor Nominee. There shall be a minimum of three (3) and if possible, at least one of their number shall be a Past District Governor or the District Governor Elect.
- Adjudicators for the Final will be appointed by the District Governor. There shall be a minimum of three (3) adjudicators at the Final. One may be the District Governor..
- Each of the three Finalists will receive a small trophy recognising their participation and achievement. The trophy will bear the words of the Four Way Test.
- The winning Finalist will have their name engraved on a perpetual trophy.
- A presentation ceremony will take place at an appropriate occasion and time at the winning student's High School or College. That presentation will be made by the District Governor (or their appointed representative) and the President of the Club nominating the student.
- The school will receive a certificate recognising that their student won the competition. The certificate will bear the name of the school, the student's name, the year and the words of the Four Way Test.
An adjudication guide has been prepared to assist adjudicators at all levels. The adjudication guide forms part of the protocol for the conduct of the Four Way Test Public Speaking Competition.